Monday, April 26, 2010

Summer Cookin!

I don't know about you all, but I hate cooking in the summer time. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook, but the majority of my cooking involves standing over a hot stove/oven. Stir-frying meat and veggies means standing over a hot wok, or making a casserole means having a hot oven heating up the house. The last thing I want on a hot summer day is to get all hot and sweaty or to heat up our house, so here's a simple salad that you can make if you're feeling to hot to "cook" dinner! I will be the first to admit that the combination of salmon, blue cheese, pears, maple syrup, dijon mustard, and vinegar sound like the craziest combination ever, but I promise it's good!!! All those flavors really do compliment each other somehow. And, the salmon makes it a full meal. Serve with your favorite kind of crusty bread. Enjoy!




(P.S. It's an awesome and easy meal to make for company - plus it looks all fancy when it's all put together, so you walk away looking like a gourmet chef without much effort! Hee hee!)







Salmon and Pear Salad with Maple Dijon Vinaigrette



Serves 4-6



(the salad was adapted from this Real Simple recipe: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/arugula-pear-salad-maple-vinaigrette-10000001132435/ , salmon was added by my friend!)



Ingredients

Salmon (however much you like to eat - I tend to make about half a large fillet)

1 tablespoon maple syrup

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 bag of any kind of dark green leafy veggie (spinach, arugula, baby greens, etc.)

1-2 pears, unpeeled (or peeled), thinly sliced (I like bartlett, but any pears work)

1/2 cup (3 ounces) blue cheese, crumbled

Directions

Season and cook salmon however you like to. I tend to salt and pepper both sides, and then bake it at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes before cutting into individual-sized servings. If you like to grill, put it on a sheet of tin foil, and toss it on the grill!

In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Whisking constantly, slowly add the oil; set aside.

Arrange the greens on individual plates and top with the pear, salmon, and blue cheese. Drizzle with the vinaigrette. Serve!

MOPS Mom: Lois Stolee

1 comment:

  1. I did this recipe tonight! I didn't have pears, so I used strawberries and also didn't have red wine vinegar so I made it in a triple batch (big family to feed) and instead used 1 tbs of white vinegar, 1 tbs apple cider vinegar and 1 tbs of balsalmic vinegar. It turned out fantastic! I grilled the salmon fillet and added dill weed to the salt and pepper rub. LOVED it! Thank you for the idea Lois!

    ReplyDelete